[b-greek] TADE LEGEI;

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 12:40:21 EDT

In a message dated 05/15/2001 10:30:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
GregStffrd@aol.com writes:

<< Now, before I get to the grammatical problems I find with the above, just
 what "things" does the AMHN say about God? It seems very clear that what the
 AMHN says begins in verse 15, and since that is the case your translation is
 essentially impossible. >>

Since the thread on ARCH is closed (again, the archives have plenty of
material for those interested), I would still like for John to support his
claim for his translation of TADE LEGEI which he claims are things the AMHN
says TOU QEOU, when in fact verse 15 makes clear the fact that such a view is
impossible (IMO).

No defense has been offered for this view (nor for other claims relating to
Aristotle's use of AITIA, but that is now past), but I would sure like to see
if this translation was offered in light of obvious contextual and
grammatical limitations or without recognition of such limitations. I have to
assume that some thought was given to verse 15; hence, I am curious to know
just what can be said about it. There is no need to get into the meaning of
ARCH to do so. If John could simply explain how he harmonizes his translation
with verse 15 I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford