[b-greek] Col 1:18 ARCH

From: virgilsalvage1 (virgilsalvage1@msn.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 04:21:43 EDT

Colossians 1:18.....just one of the locations where I would like to propose
objection to ARCH being perceived as meaning "beginning". It seems to me to
have come from the perspective of tradition and protecting centuries of
doctrine that we have been insulated from seeing the possibility that ARCH
indicates not "beginning...meaninglessly many times" but refers to
"ruling"...that is: having the sense of preeminence, first place (which
includes the carrying out of leadership and the responsibilities that go
along with it), being a person of influence and authority. The context here
in Colossians 1:18 points to ( it seems to me ) ARCH meaning just these very
things. Is there the distinct possibility that this is what the Greek is
saying and may legitimately be understood to mean ?

    KAI AUTOS ESTIN hH KEFALH TOU SWMATOS THS EKKLHSIAS hOS ESTIN ARCH
PROTOTOKOS EK TON NEKRON hINA GENHTAI EN PASIN AUTOS PROTEUON

       Where's the justification for ARCH meaning "beginning" ?

       I see in the context...Headship....then Ruling. Firstborn
then...Preeminence. From what, that is here in grammar or lexicon or context
could we establish ARCH presenting the meaning "beginning"? instead of ruler
or if you will " the leading one ". Might this require us to render
this....And He is the head of that which is characterized by the body, the
assembly...who is " the one with whom we have to do(ARCH)

     Is there a reason this should be considered any differently from the
perspective of grammar...lexicon....and or context ?

Virgil Newkirk
Salt Lake City, Utah