[b-greek] Re: Fw: Learning Greek, how far is the ocean?

From: Chuck Tripp (ctripp@ptialaska.net)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 12:56:02 EDT

Dear Harry,

It would be hard to know for sure without native koine speakers/writers to
either laugh at our compositions or be just totally confused by them.

When I was in High School I moved to Quebec, Canada and entered the French
School system there without any prior knowledge of French. I remember my
first attempts at expressing myself in French. For the most part I got
blank stares but also some laughter. So one could say that my initial
sentences were French only in my own mind because nobody else understood
them. Eventually however, my sentences improved. This was due a several
factors that are mostly absent from an NT Greek learner's experience. For
beside being corrected, and at time just not being understood, I also heard
French continuously all day long so pretty soon I got a pretty good idea of
what a french sentence ought to sound like.

Of all the ideas I have seen so far the closest thing that would replicate
learning a modern language would be listening to the Greek New Testatement
on CD. Another would be to try to add a component of reading NT Greek or
other extra-biblical greek texts where we read in rather high volume. That
has been my goal but I am still at the point where I usually don't read more
than about a paragraph or so at a sitting. My guess is one day's exposure
to French when I was in French school is the equivalent of probably two or
three months exposure to Greek now. I guess that explains why it is taking
me so long.

Chuck Tripp
Kodiak, Alaska