[b-greek] Re: Intermediate Grammars

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue May 22 2001 - 19:01:25 EDT

on 5/22/01 11:00 AM, Kenneth Litwak wrote:

> I'm sure this is a common, and difficult to answer
> question

Ken,

I am not as enthusiastic about Richard Young's Intermediate Grammar as I was
5 years ago, but I think it still has some things to offer that the others
do not. It attempts to integrate some introductory concepts in linguistics
into the presentation of the material. Young seems to have picked up most of
his linguistic ideas and methods from sources associated at some time or
other with SIL. Some of these ideas are now somewhat dated, culled from
translation theory that was in vogue several decades ago.

Also, the danger of trying to put together an introduction to linguistic
ideas with and intermediate Greek Grammar is that you will be always be
accused of not doing justice to the linguistic material. Linguistic theory
is difficult to make accessible to general audiences.

Having said all of this, I would still say you would benefit by taking a
look at Young's book along with several others.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point