[b-greek] Ps.Gregory of Nyssa

From: Martin C. Albl (alblm@presentation.edu)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 14:07:46 EDT

Here is the text in question:

hORAS, hOTI OUK AKOUSTON, ALL' hORATON LOGON LEGEI, DHLON TON ENUPOSTATON,
hOPOTE
KATA TON EIKOTA LOGISMON, OUDE CWRAN ECEI EPI QEOU TO TOU ANUPOSTATOU
LOGOU.

My provisional translation: You see that he speaks not an audible, but a
visible
word. Clearly, it is the subsistent word, whenver he speaks on the basis
of
plausible thought, nor does that which is of an unsubstantial word have a
place
before God."

This is from Ps.-Gregory of Nyssa, obviously within the context of a
Trinitarian
debate. I'm particularly looking for help in understanding the phrase,
hOPOTE
KATA
TON EIKOTA LOGISMON. How exactly to translate it (I take eikota as perfect
participle of eoika) and its precise function in the sentence.

It may be hard to work with out of context, but I'd appreciate any
pointers
you
may have (text is found in P.G. 46. col 196 if you are interested in the
larger
context).
Thank you.