[b-greek] Thayers Lexicon

From: Kevin Buchs (buchs@lutheran.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 05:17:54 EDT

Hello,

I am a Greek Student who desires to grow in my knowledge but don't have much
time. I will from time to time reference my Thayer Lexicon (The New
Thayer's Greek-English Lexion; Hendrickson; copyright Jay P. Green, Sr.) and
find I am frustrated by abbreviations that are not given in the Explanations
and Abbreviations (pages XVIII-XIX). Has anyone composed a list of
additional abbreviations for this book?

Here are some examples:

Abbreviation Where it occurs
------------- ----------------
com. page 554, #4405
trop. / prop. page 527, #4165 and page 423, #3498
term. page 445, #3664

I am also wanting to expand my web of knowledge. This lexicon gives grammar
references to Winer and Buttmann. Would anyone recommend trying to get
these books so the specific chapter/page references can be followed? It
looks like they are translated into English but I am not sure if they are so
old that there are not current copies available for purchase or if they are
antiquated in some way in the content.

Thanks for your help.
Kevin Buchs