[b-greek] Re: Phil 1:9 Preposition EN

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Thu May 24 2001 - 19:44:45 EDT

Dear Brian,

>KAI TOUTO PROEUXOMAI
>INA H AGAPH UMWN ETI MALLON KAI PERISSEUH
>EN EPIGNWSEI KAI PASH AISQHSEI

>My question to the list is how do you take the preposition EN in this
>instance? Do you see it as the result of PERISSEUH? Do you take it as the
>cause? Is this discriptive of the love? If I have done my lexical work
>correctly, these are all possibilities. What are the markers and reasons
>you choose as you do?

HH: I would pick the third. EN shows the sphere in which the love is to
abound. It is to abound in the area of knowledge and all discernment.
Hopefully their love will incorporate knowledge and all discernment in its
activity. This interpretation of the preposition is what seems logical to
me, and that is the way that I have always read the verse, I think.

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard
                                Dallas, TX