[b-greek] Acts 2:38

From: Wayne Leman (Wayne_Leman@SIL.ORG)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 13:45:48 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Blank" <glennblank@earthlink.net>

> >> --- "Matthew R. Miller" <biblicalscribe@hotmail.com>
>
> >From: "Wayne Leman" <Wayne_Leman@SIL.ORG>
> >Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 21:06:06 -0600
> >
> >But what does that mean? I've heard it often since childhood, but it
> doesn't
> >make sense to me in my dialect of English. I'm happy not to have
"because"
> >since there is no hOTI, but it seems to me we need some other English
> >translation to understand the meaning of the Greek phrase.
> >

> "for the remission of your sins" (as translated in the KJV, NKJV, NIV,
RSV,
> and others) works for me -- as meaning "unto the end that your sins be
> remitted" Passages that establish a clear precedent for such a telic
usage
> of EIS include Mark 1:38, John 18:37, and I John 3:8. Of course, these
> passages are of the construction [. . . EIS TI hINA <clause>] rather than
> [. . . EIS <noun phrase>] as we have in Acts 2:38. However, a number of
> other passages which are of the type [. . . EIS <NP>], such as Philippians
> 1:11, Romans 8:15, Romans 3:25, and John 4:14, also seem to carry a telic
> force -- either "for the purpose of" or "with the result of"
>
> glenn blank
> Pensacola, FL

Glenn, thanks much for responding. In my dialect of English, I don't
understand "unto the end that your sins be remitted" either, but I would
understand the following, which I'm guessing is related to your mention of
telic force:

"so that your sins will be remitted/forgiven"
"with the result that your sins will be remitted/forgiven"

In your dialect of English, would either or both of these phrases be
equivalent to the meaning you understand from "unto the end that your sins
be remitted"?

Ordinary English speaker,
Wayne
---