[b-greek] RE: Acts 2:38

From: Glenn Blank (glennblank@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat May 26 2001 - 23:25:59 EDT

Wayne,

Paul Schmel wrote,

> How about, "Repent and be baptized.....which will result in your sins
being
> forgiven"?

The problem I have with that translation is that it "overtranslates": there
is nothing in the construction EIS AFESIN TWN hAMARITAN, and IMO nothing in
the context, to disambiguate between result and purpose, which are both
possible senses of EIS. This is the advantage of using "for" to translate
EIS -- it contains the same ambiguity.

(Of course, Wayne, I'm not sure if having purpose in the translation helps
your theological position any better than an explicitly stated result)

Ted Mann wrote

>> Is it entirely unreasonable to translate this as: "Repent... and be
>> baptized... into [i.e., into the condition of] the forgiveness of
sins..."?

Wayne wrote
>Wouldn't that require an EN, Ted?

Don't dismiss Ted's suggestion out of hand. EN would be "in," not "into."
In fact, EIS carries the sense of "into" at least as often as the sense of
"toward" (e.g. EIS THN POLIN "into the city" - Matthew 26:18; EIS TON OIKON
"into the house" Matthew 9:7). This very easily suggests a metaphorical use
of "entering a condition of" e.g., John 5:24 EIS KRISIN "into
condemnation," or Matthew 18:8 EIS ZWHN "into life."

Of course, the problem of the naturalness of the translation remains. Does
"be baptized *for* the remission of sins" sound unnatural to your ears?

With Kind Regards,
glenn blank