[b-greek] Re: John 17:25

From: Harry W. Jones (hjbluebird@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 06:20:48 EDT

> I expect I'm being quite thick again, but I can't figure out what purpose
> is served by the first 'KAI' ( that I have put between asterisks below).
>
> John 17:25. PATER DIKAIE, *KAI* hOI KOSMOS SE OUK EGNW,
> EGW DE SE EGNWN, KAI hOUTOI EGNWSAN hOTI
> SU ME APESTEILAS.
>
> Since I am studying by myself, I very much appreciate having this list
> to turn to when I'm stumped.
>
> Barbara D. Colt, mailto:babc@ix.netcom.com
> St John the Evangelist, San Francisco

Barbara

There are three ways KAI is
normally used. They are, "and,also and even" but they are not the
only way KAI can be translated. In this instance it would seem to have
to be translated in the "emphatic" because that's the only use
that fits the context best. For example, "indeed,verily,really,infact,yea,
certainly, etc..". Just take your pick Barbara. I personally would
go with either "indeed, verily or really" but that's up to you.Now
all of this is pointed out in Dana & Mantey on pages 249,250 and 251.
It really pays to have a lot of reference grammers.

Harry W. Jones
hjbluebird@aol.com