[b-greek] Re: Acts 2:38

From: Jim Crouch (jimcrouch@email.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 09:36:13 EDT

> As far as Acts 2:38, is not the same preposition found in Luke 11:32, =
> translated as "at".
>
> The men of Nineveh shall rise up in the judgement with this generation, =
> and condemn it: for they repented 'at' the preaching of Jonah.
>
> In other words, the men of Nineveh repented 'because of' the preaching =
> of Jonah.
>
> The men of Nineveh shall rise up in the judgement with this generation, =
> and condemn it: for they repented 'because of' the preaching of Jonah.
>
> Likewise believers ought to be baptized 'because of' the remission of =
> sin. Would not then an appropriate translation of 'eis' in Acts 2:38 be =
> 'because of''.
>
> Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized =
> in the name of Jesus Christ 'because of' the remission of sins and you =
> shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
>
> Regards,
>
> Steve Shannon

Regarding Luke 11:32 and the use of EIS...

Although EIS is used in many ways (including some idiomatic uses), its
foundational meaning is toward, into, in, often with the idea of achieving
a particular goal. I do not know that EIS is used in consequence of
(because of) a goal already achieved.

In respect to Luke 11:32, EIS conveys the idea that the people repented
(changed) so as to comply with and conform to the preaching of Jonah.
"Because of the preaching of Jonah" would not be a proper translation, nor
would "because of the remission of sins" be a proper translation in Acts
2:38.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jim Crouch
jimcrouch@email.com