[b-greek] Re: the intent of Mk. 14:38

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@home.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 16:32:20 EDT

"Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

> dixonps@juno.com wrote:
>

> > Agreed that there are two lifestyles being contrasted by Christ,
> > faithfulness versus unfaithfulness, but does Mark even refer to the
> > unfaithful generation that perished in the wilderness? If not, then what
> > is the basis for taking Mk 14:38 as a warning against the disciples
> > testing God like that wicked generation?
> >

> Have a look at Mk. 8:11-13 where you have the concatenation of "generation"
> and "testing" as well as echoes in the seeking of proofs of what the
> wilderness generation did. Then there's Jesus himself recapitulating the
> wilderness generation's experience of being tested to see whether they would
> remain faithful or put God to the test in Mk. 1:12-13 (note the reference to
> 40, wilderness, and "testing").

I might add to my own note that the theme of the disciples going over to "this
generation" is emphasized immediately after the "sign" testing story in Mk. 8:14 and
through out the story of the dispute about bread in Mk 8:14-21. There the disciples
are accused of taking on the characteristics that are noted as belonging to those
outside in Mk. 4:11-12.

Yours,

Jeffrey

--