[b-greek] Re: accusative with EIMI, Col. 1:6

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 11:58:09 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/01 10:16:49 AM, ctripp@ptialaska.net writes:

>I am looking at Colossians 1:6, I'll quote it from verse 5:
>

>DIA THN ELPIDA THN APOKEIMENHN hUMIN EN TOIS OURANOIS, hHN PROHKOUSATE
>EN
>
>TiW LOGiW THS ALHQEIAS TOU EUAGGELIOU TOU PARONTOS EIS hUMAS, KAQWS KAI
>EN
>
>PANTI TiW KOSMiW ESTIN KARPOFOROUMENON KAI AUXANOMENON KAQWS EN hUMIN
>
>AF'HS...
>

>What interests me here is 'ESTIN KARPOFOROUMENON DAI AUZANOMENON'. Why
>are
>
>these two participals in the accusative? My understanding is that when
>used
>
>with EIMI that these would normally be in the nominative case. Also, I
>had
>
>to kind of hunt for what the referent of these two participals, my guess
>is
>
>that it is EUAGGELIOU.

Chuck, the lexical entry for EUAGGELIOU is EUAGGELION, OU, TO. So we know
that it is neuter gender. So both KARPOFOROUMENON and AUZANOMENON can be
nominative, which is what I would chose since I agree with you that they are
both making an assertion about EUAGGELIOU and are used predicatively with
ESTIN.

Carlton Winbery
LA College