[b-greek] Re: Luke 23:43 .Was the thief with Jesus in pardise the same day?

From: Ted Mann (theomann@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 15:01:09 EDT

You know, I had no sooner posted the following message than it occurred to
me that this question is probably a good example of how translation often
requires a theological perspective, even though we correctly try to avoid
such discussions on the list. The placement of the comma in Luke 23:24 is a
translation-related issue, I think; but because its placement apparently
can't be determined on a strictly grammatical basis (so far as I know), the
translation of the passage becomes somewhat a matter of one's doctrinal
viewpoint. I know this is old stuff to veterans of biblical languages, but
I think there are many of us novices who too often think the rules of
grammar will usually solve our theological questions, when in fact
theological viewpoints are often needed to determine translation.

Ted
Dr. Theodore H. Mann
theomann@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~theomann