[b-greek] Jesus' use of AMHN LEGW SOI

From: Dan Parker (stoixein@sdf.lonestar.org)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 12:08:17 EDT

Dear B-GREEKER's,
Please note all instances of "Truly I say to you" in the New American
Standard Bible where a _specific time_ is denoted in the same verse.

Matthew 26:34 Jesus said to him, "Truly I say to you [hOTI] that _this
very night, before a cock crows_, you shall deny Me three times."
EFH AUTW O IHSOUS AMHN LEGW SOI OTI EN TAUTH TH NUKTI PRIN ALEKTORA
FWN HSAI TRIS APARNHSH ME (Date of prediction specified by isolation
from AMHN with hOTI.)

Mark 14:30 And Jesus said to him, "Truly I say to you, [hOTI] that
you yourself _this very night, before a cock crows twice_, shall three
times deny Me." KAI LEGEI AUTW O IHSOUS AMHN LEGW SOI OTI SU SHMERON
AUTH TH NUKTI PRI N H DIS ALEKTORA FWNHSAI TRIS ME APARNHSH (Date of
prediction specified by isolation from AMHN with hOTI.)

John 5:25 "Truly, truly, I say to you, [hOTI] _an hour is coming and
now is_, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God; and
those who hear shall live. [AMHN AMHN LEGW UMIN OTI ERXETAI WRA KAI
NUN ESTIN OTE OI NEKROI AKOUSOU SIN THS FWNHS TOU UIOU TOU QEOU KAI OI
AKOUSANTES ZHSOUSIN ] (Date of prediction specified by isolation from
AMHN with hOTI)

Luke 23:43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall
be with Me in Paradise". KAI EIPEN AUTW AMHN SOI LEGW SHMERON
MET EMOU ESH EN TW PARADEISW

In these four examples of Jesus' expression "Truly I say to you" with
respect to a specific time, the three verses that unambiguously place
this phrase by Jesus in reference to the definite time period referenced
in the same verse all separate the phrase with hOTI. The only one that
does not is Luke 23:43.

To propose Luke 23:43 is an example where Jesus Christ used the phrase
"Truly I tell you" with respect to a promise to be fulfilled "today"
deviates from the normal usage of this phrase by him.

Sincerely,
Dan Parker