[b-greek] RE: Agency&Passive, Mk 14:57-59 False testimony

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 04:42:18 EDT

on 6/5/01 11:07 PM, Iver Larsen wrote:

> However, the so-called divine passive is a special case connected to Jewish
> aversion to mentioning the name of God.

Iver,

Marius Reiser argues that the NT authors had no such aversion. However he
admits that the divine passive does occur in the NT. He attempts to
demonstrate that the criteria commonly used to determine genuine occurrences
of the divine passive are too loose (too inclusive) which results in
assuming God is the agent in passages where the agent is INTENTIONALLY left
unspecified and where we should NOT assume that God is the agent.

For example:
The agent-less passive in the NT is sometimes used to mask or suppress
agency when there is an evil agent used to carry out judgement ordained by
God. Rather than present the reader with the sticky problem of who is
responsible for what, the results of the action are spelled out but the
agent is left as a blank semantic slot.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew