[b-greek] Re: Phil 2:2, why TO AUTO accusative?

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 13:03:38 EDT

> Dave Washburn <dwashbur@nyx.net> said:
> > BAGD translates it "think the same thing" which is similar to the way
> > I've always understood it; idiomatically I'd translate it "be of the
> > same mind." Acts 28:22 uses a similar construction (with hA) as do
> > some other passages.
>
> OK, but why? Why did BAGD chose TO AUTO as accusative and not nominative?
>
> I don't mean to be disrespectful of BAGD, but even the greatest of experts
> must support their conclusions. Actually, in my book, the greatest of
> experts DO support their conclusions. <smile>
> --
Agreed. Since none of those initials is a W I obviously can't speak
for them, but speaking for myself I think it reads more naturally as
an accusative. Even reading your suggested translation, I'm not
sure how TO AUTO would function as the subject of FRONEW in
this context, whereas the context strongly suggests the idea of
"being of the same mind." The next clause likewise has the
accusative object of the verb fronted, so we can at least make a
prima facie case for this clause being structured the same way,
especially since the meaning makes good sense in context. In
your view, what does the nominative TO AUTO refer to? Do you
know of other examples of FRONEW with a neuter subject? I'm a
little fuzzy on your view here.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."