[b-greek] Luke 5:7

From: Kenneth Litwak (javajedi2@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 18 2001 - 00:10:17 EDT

   I have some questions on the first half of Luke
5:7:
KAI KATENEUSAN TOIS METOCOS en TW hETERW PLOIW TOU
ELONTAS SULLABESQAI AUTOIS

1. When is it legitimate to take the definite article
as a possessive? The first TOIS construciton is
clealry missing AUTWN or the like, and I'm wondering
if the article alone is considered to do that job?

2. TOU plus an infinitive is common, but what about
the aorist participle between the two? I know the
parti8ciple can be used as an imperative, but as part
of a compound infinitive? Is it "to, afterhaving
come, help" or "to come and help"?

3. Why is this followed by a dative, not an
accusative?

Thanks.

Ken "To come help with them?"