[b-greek] Re: Rev 4.11 (breaking of Sharp's Rule)

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 05:28:59 EDT

> Revelation 4.11
> AXIOS EI, hO KURIOS KAI hO QEOS hHMWN,
> LABEIN THN DOXAN KAI THN TIMHN KAI THN DUNAMIN,
> hOTI SU EKTISAS TA PANTA
> KAI DIA TO QELHMA SOU HSAN KAI EKTISQHSAN.
>
> I'm just curious about the first part of the verse... Is it OK grammar for
> John to have included an article for both KURIOS and QEOS? Is there
> anything inherently wrong with this... in regard to Granville Sharp's
> Rule?

Sharp actually formulated 6 rules regarding use of the article, and
yes, this is an OK construction. One of Sharp's rules dealt with it
but I forget what he said about it since it's been over 20 years since
I was able to get my hands on his book.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."