[b-greek] Re: Rev 4.11 (breaking of Sharp's Rule)

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 18:08:53 EDT

Jason,
It's been a long time since I read Sharp's book, as I mentioned, but
as I recall his sixth rule listed six examples and seven exceptions
or something like that, which could tend to call that rule into
question! I do recall that one of his rules had more exceptions than
examples, and I'm thinking it was the sixth. Please correct me on
this.

> Greg,
>
> Granville Sharp's Sixth Rule:
> "And as the insertion of the copulative KAI between nouns of the same
> case, without articles, (according to the fifth rule,) denotes that the
> second noun expresses a different person, thing, or quality, from the
> preceding noun, so, likewise, the same effect attends the copulative when
> each of the nouns are preceded by articles."
>
> I did manage to make it back to Ozark Christian College today and check
> out Sharp's book. Also, since I do not have access to my own library, I
> checked out Wallace's book while I was there. He has a section in there
> dealing with Sharp's rule and its restrictions (pp. 270-290). I'm going
> to do some more reading on this specific construction (TSKTS) to see what
> Wallace has to say. (He states that Titus 2.13 [TOU MEGALOU QEOU KAI
> SWTHROS hHMWN] is not a reference to the deity of Jesus. I need to read
> _why_ THEOS should not be taken as a title/quality rather than as a proper
> reference.)
>
> Regards,
> Jason
>
> > Dear Jason:
> >
> > No, it does not conflict with Sharp's rule in as much as Sharp discussed the
> > implications of substantives connected by KAI where only the first was
> > preceded by the article. However, your example does nullify the argument
> > often offered by strong advocates of Sharp, namely, that if two persons are
> > meant in certain texts then the article could simply have been used before
> > the second noun. Your example, and many others, shows that this is not the
> > case. Thus, we need to be careful when we approach such texts and let the
> > restrictive force of the nouns and the context have a say in whether or not
> > one or two persons are meant in ARTICLE-NOUN-KAI-NOUN and
> > ARTICLE-NOUN-KAI-ARTICLE-NOUN constructions. There are exceptions to both
> > when the aforementioned (restrictive force [proper names and terms equivalent
> > or in excess of proper names in terms of being restricted to one known
> > person] and context) are considered.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Greg Stafford
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-greek as: [dwashbur@nyx.net]

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."