[b-greek] Mark 1:24

From: David Thiele (thielogian@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 03:29:35 EDT

In Mark 1:24 the following words occur: TI hHMIN KAI
SOI. An almost identical construction appears in John
2:4 – TI EMOI KAI SOI.

In John the words are on the lips of Jesus in response
to Mary’s observation that the wine had run out. I
would take the meaning to be something like “What is
that to us?”.

I am having considerably more difficulty in settling
on a meaning for the phrase in Mark. There it is not
a response but the opening gambit by the man with the
unclean spirit. I suppose that phrase has a meaning
that would fit both contexts but I am at a lost to
find it. Any suggestions?

Regards

David Thiele
Pacific Adventist University