[b-greek] Re: 1 John 3:6a

From: Jason A. Hare (language_lover64801@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 14:42:45 EDT

> IMO, this connection of OU with hAMARTANEI is correct, but the reasoning is not.
> The use of MH with non-indicative verbals is usual, but not absolute; in fact, OU
> with the participle is one of the categories specifically listed in BDAG. Also, OU
> is the particle of choice for the negation of general ideas, and non-verbal parts of
> speech.

<snip>

> Daniel

Daniel,

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I had not heard that before. I
looked up the relevant section(s) in Smyth at Perseus. I'll attach them
for anyone interested.

Jason

<<
ou AND mê WITH THE PARTICIPLE
§2728. The participle has ou when it states a fact, mê when it states a
condition. On mê due to the force of the leading verb, see 2737.

ou pisteuôn since (as, when, etc.) he does not believe, mê pisteuôn if he
does not believe, anebê epi ta orê oudenos kôlu_ontos he went up on the
mountains since no one hindered him X. A. 1.2.22 , ouk an dunaio mê kamôn
eudaimonein thou canst not be happy if thou hast not toiled E. fr. 461,
hôs hêdu to zên mê phthonousês tês tuchês how sweet is life if fortune is
not envious Men. Sent. 563.

a. mê with the articular participle is the abridged equivalent of a
conditional relative sentence. Thus, in ho mê tauta poiôn adikos esti, ho
mê poiôn is virtually the generic hos an mê poiêi or hostis mê poiei
compressed into a noun.

§2729. ou is used with a supplementary participle (in indirect discourse)
in [p. 619] agreement with a noun (or pronoun, expressed or unexpressed)
depending on a verb of knowing, showing, seeing, perceiving, etc.
(2106-2115); and also with such supplementary participles (not in indirect
discourse) after verbs of emotion (2100), etc. In most such cases hoti ou
might have been used.

oudena gar oida mi_sounta tous epainountas for I know of no one who
dislikes his admirers X. M. 2.6.33 , phaneron pasin epoiêsan ouk idiai
polemountes they made it clear to all that they were not waging war for
their own interests Lyc. 50, horôsi tous presbuterous ou . . . apiontas
they see that their elders do not depart X. C. 1.2.8 , oudeis mêpoth'
heurêi . . . ouden elleiphthen no one will ever find that anything has
been left undone D. 18.246 ; Ku_rôi hêdeto ou dunamenôi si_gan he rejoiced
that Cyrus was unable to remain silent X. C. 1.4.15 .

§2730. epistamai and oida denoting confident belief may take mê for ou.
Thus, exoida phusei se mê pephu_kota toiauta phônein kaka well do I know
that by nature thou art not adapted to utter such guile S. Ph. 79 ; cp. S.
O. C. 656, T. 1.76, 2. 17. This use of mê is analogous to that with the
infinitive (2727).

§2731. mê is used when the reason for an action is regarded as the
condition under which it takes place; as ou tou pleonos mê steriskomenoi
charin echousin they are not grateful at not being deprived of the greater
part of their rights T. 1.77 ( = ei mê steriskonto).

§2732. The participle with hôs, hôsper, hate, hoion, hoia (2085-2087) has
ou; as ethorubeite hôs ou poiêsontes tauta you made a disturbance by way
of declaring that you did not intend to do this L. 12.73 . The use of ou
shows that there is nothing conditional in the use of hôs though it is
often translated by as if. mê occurs only after an imperative or a
conditional word (2737).

§2733. Participles of opposition or concession (2083) take ou; as peithou
gunaixi kaiper ou stergôn homôs hearken to women albeit thou likest it not
A. Sept. 712 .

§2734. The participle with the article has ou when a definite person or
thing is meant, but mê when the idea is indefinite and virtually
conditional (whoever, whatever); and when a person or thing is to be
characterized (of such a sort, one who; 2705 g). Cp. 2052.

hoi ouk ontes the dead T. 2.44 , hoi ouk ethelontes the particular persons
(or party) who are unwilling Ant. 6.26, hoi ou boulomenoi tauta houtôs
echein the party of opposition And. 1.9 ; hoi mê dunamenoi any who are
unable X. A. 4.5.11 ( = hoitines mê dunantai or hosoi an mê dunôntai), ho
mê dareis anthrôpos ou paideuetai he who gets no flogging gets no training
Men. Sent. 422 , ho mê legôn ha phronei the man who does not say what he
thinks D. 18.282 , ho mêden adikôn oudenos deitai nomou he who does no
wrong needs no law Antiph. 288.