[b-greek] Re: Axioms of NT Greek Grammar

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 15:19:15 EDT

Harry,
> When I spoke of the," Axioms of NT Greek Grammar" I simply ment the
> established rules of NT Greek grammar that's not based on inductive
> reasoning. We of course get these rules from modern Greek as well as
> sources closer to our time than NT Greek. I guess you could call these
> rules, the "Mechanics" of the language.

I don't know of any grammars that actually apply rules of modern
Greek to NT Greek, but perhaps you've seen some works that I
haven't since I've spent the last several years focusing more on
Hebrew than on Greek. Nevertheless, modern Greek can only tell
us so much, ditto for Byzantine Greek; induction is pretty much
the only approach we have available for figuring out the mechanics
of a dead language, whether Koine Greek, Palestinian Aramaic,
Ugaritic or any other such language. I don't think it's correct to
write off something simply because it's arrived at by an inductive
approach, because I haven't seen any demonstration that an
inductive approach is incorrect.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."