[b-greek] Re: Comparing ALLOS and hETEROS

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 16:00:00 EDT

Ben Crick <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk> said:
> I respectfully suggest that you look up Galatians 1:6-7 in your GNT
> and consult any half-decent Commentary on the Greek text...

Along with Clayton's comment, I'll add that the *collocation* of ALLOS
*with* hETEROS in Gal. 1:6-7 and the OU in verse 7 set up a sense of
contrast. This contrast would cause certain lexical contrasting features
of these words to be more precisely selected by the context. The result,
when we read them in context like this, is that the distinction in the
words is brought to the fore. In another context, this lexical feature
may not be as prominent or even selected.

I don't have the experience needed to be able to assess how much effort
Paul goes to in this text to highlight the contrast between the two
words. If it is a lot of effort, then one should be able to say that
the contrastive nature between the two words is small. If it was easy,
then the words tend to contrast by themselves. I'll note there is no
ALLA between the two clauses. Apparently, that wasn't needed in order
to communicate the contrast.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org