[b-greek] Re: Accent placement rules; APOLUTRWSEWS

From: c stirling bartholomew (cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 12:33:10 EDT

on 6/29/01 8:05 AM, Matthew Harris wrote:

> I am teaching myself Biblical Greek and am somewhat disappointed that,
> despite a couple of hundred dollars invested in grammars, lexicons etc. I
> have been unable to find any in-depth discussion of accent placement
> rules.

Matthew,

Have you looked at:

Carson, D. A.
Greek accents : a student's manual
 Grand Rapids, Mich. : Baker Book House, [1988]

I personally take a position somewhere between D. Carson and John Wenham on
the accents. After reading NT Greek for a few years I can predict where the
accent will fall about 95% of the time but I have NEVER learned any of
Carson's rules. J. Wenham removes most accents from his NT citations in his
Elements of NT Greek. I don't like that since the accents are helpful visual
clues. But memorize accent placement rules? No thanks.

Life is to short for rules. Read the text and you will learn the accents, in
due time.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point