[b-greek] re: pronunciation question

From: Randall Buth (ButhFam@compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 23:54:18 EDT

shalom Matthew and Michael,

On pronunciation, allow me to bring up a few points.

Originally Kappa was like a Mexican pronouncing an English 'k':
without aspiration.
(It would sound halfway to 'g' to Americans.)

Chi was pronounced like an exaggerated American 'k',
with aspiration.
The 'soft' (fricative) pronounciation of Fi, Theta, and KHi, only developed
around
the time of Eusebius and later.
That is the pronounciation of modern Greek and was adopted by Erasmus
(which is included in "American Seminary").

I recommend it for Koine, too.
See my notes, below. The voiced sounds,
Veta, Dhelta, and Ghamma went 'soft' before FI, Theta and Khi.
So consistency would argue that if you use 'FI' you should use 'VETA'.
Again, see my notes below.

The vowels are more critical.
For example, OI and U should be pronounced
the same for KOINE. (Yes, like German umplau '"u')
Also EI and I. (Like Spanish "i", English 'fEEt')

I have offered my notes, 14 pages, and Demo CD on list before and
several have enjoyed the discusssion and demonstration. They are
available for $9 by check to
Randall Buth
POB 82340
90805 Mevasseret Zion
ISRAEL

The Phonemic Koine pronunciation allows one to train your ears to be
like 1st century listeners.
You will hear and think with the same sounds together
that Luke and Paul held together.
In addition, reading papyri becomes fun and understandable. Also, NT
manuscript history.

ERRWSQE
Randall Buth, PhD
Director,