[b-greek] Re: EXOMOLOGHSETAI

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 09:40:44 EDT

<x-flowed>

Carl:

Concerning this:
-------
> >Romans 14:11b
> >
> >hOTI EMOI KAMYEI PAN GONU
> >KAI PASA GLWSSA EXOMOLOGHSETAI TWi QEWi
> >

> >I was expecting hOTI after EXOMOLOGHSETAI to indicate
> >the content of what was going to be confessed.

Here's L&N:

>33.274 hOMOLOGEW; hOMOLOGIA, -AS, f., EXOMOLOGEOMAI: to express openly
>one's allegiance to a proposition or person - 'to profess, to confess,
>confession.'
>hOMOLOGEW; hOSTIS hOMOLOGHSEI EN EMOI EMPROSQEN TWN ANQRWPWN, hOMOLOGHSW
>KAGW EN AUTWi EMPROSQEN TOU PATROS MOU 'whoever confesses me before people,
>I will confess him before my Father' Mt 10:32.
>hOMOLOGIA: KATECWMEN THN hOMOLOGIAN THS ELPIDOS 'let us hold on to the hope
>we profess' He 10:23.
>EXOMOLOGEOMAI: DIA TOUTO EXOMOLOGHSOMAI SOI EN EQNESIN 'therefore I will
>confess you before the Gentiles' Ro 15:9. For another interpretation of
>EXOMOLOGEOMAI in Ro 15:9, see 33.359.
------------

L&N follows somewhat what I had noticed in BAGD. It seems to me that these
citations have a complement to profess/confess, Namely: confesses ME,
confess HIM, we profess THE HOPE, confess YOU...

And note a similar quotation by Paul in Phil 2:11

KAI PASA GLWSSA EXOMOLOGHSHTAI hOTI KURIOS IHSOUS CRISTOS

This is why I was expecting some hOTI or complement to confess.

Are you saying then that you understand this construct in Rm 14:11
to say something like, "every tongue shall openly profess their allegience
to God."

Thanks,

Mark Wilson