[b-greek] Re: Pronunciation help...

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 14:06:48 EDT

At 12:11 PM 7/5/01 -0700, Numberup@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>The NT Greek word is suneidesis. In its first occurrence in the GNT
>(Acts 23:1), the Latin Vulgate translates this as conscientia, whence
>our English term, "conscience." I know how the Greek word is pronunced,
>but to those on this list who also know Latin, the question is, should
>it be pronounced as con-ski-EN-ti-a?

There are two main approaches to the pronunciation of Latin
(actually, there is a third involving the pronunciation of
legal terms in Anglo-American law, which we can ignore here).

The first is the classical pronunciation, taught in most
non-sectarian Latin programs, which you have properly
given in this case.

The second is the ecclesiastical pronunciation, still
used among Roman Catholics, for example. In that case,
conscientia would be pronounced something like:
kon-shee-EN-tsi-a.

Which pronunciation you use depends on the social
context in which you are speaking the Latin. For
Christian Latin works including the Vulgate I
prefer the ecclesiastical pronunciation, and for
classical works I prefer the classical pronunciation.
Naturally, those who know Latin will not be confused
by either style.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com