[b-greek] Re: Pronunciation help...

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 14:22:57 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson@mindspring.com>
To: "Biblical Greek" <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2001 1:06 PM
Subject: [b-greek] Re: Pronunciation help...

> At 12:11 PM 7/5/01 -0700, Numberup@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> >The NT Greek word is suneidesis. In its first occurrence in the GNT
> >(Acts 23:1), the Latin Vulgate translates this as conscientia, whence
> >our English term, "conscience." I know how the Greek word is pronunced,
> >but to those on this list who also know Latin, the question is, should
> >it be pronounced as con-ski-EN-ti-a?
>
> There are two main approaches to the pronunciation of Latin
> (actually, there is a third involving the pronunciation of
> legal terms in Anglo-American law, which we can ignore here).
>
> The first is the classical pronunciation, taught in most
> non-sectarian Latin programs, which you have properly
> given in this case.
>
> The second is the ecclesiastical pronunciation, still
> used among Roman Catholics, for example. In that case,
> conscientia would be pronounced something like:
> kon-shee-EN-tsi-a.
>
> Which pronunciation you use depends on the social
> context in which you are speaking the Latin. For
> Christian Latin works including the Vulgate I
> prefer the ecclesiastical pronunciation, and for
> classical works I prefer the classical pronunciation.
> Naturally, those who know Latin will not be confused
> by either style.

In other words, it depends on whether you are talking to Monsignor
Cicero (SIS-er-oh) or to Marcus Tullius Cicero (KEEK-er-oh)??
<g>

This post reminded me of when I was a young altar boy steeped in
Classical Latin being chastised by the Monsignor for saying,
"sancteefeeKAYtur nomen too-oom adWAYneeat rrrregnoom too-oom feeat
WOL-oontas..."

Then being chastised by Classical Latin teacher for,
"Omnia Gallia deeVEEza in tres partes est"

Ya just can't win! <vbg>

Jack