[b-greek] Re: EXOMOLOGHSETAI

From: B. D. Colt (babc@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 16:54:06 EDT

On 5 Jul 01, at 3:27, Mark Wilson wrote:

> Romans 14:11b
>
> hOTI EMOI KAMYEI PAN GONU
> KAI PASA GLWSSA EXOMOLOGHSETAI TWi QEWi
>

> I was expecting hOTI after EXOMOLOGHSETAI to indicate
> the content of what was going to be confessed.
>
> ...every tongue shall confess [what] to God...
>

> Does not EXOMOLOGHSETAI need a completer word?
> If not, how does TWi QEWi function here?

I don't have the very latest edition of BAGD, but I do find this:

"c. fr. the mng. confess there arose, as Rtzst., Erlösungsmyst. 252
shows, the more general sense praise, of praise directed
toward God (so mostly LXX) w. dat. of the one praised"

and the NRSV translates it as 'give praise.'

Barbara D. Colt, mailto:babc@ix.netcom.com
St John the Evangelist, San Francisco