[b-greek] Re: Fwd: Re: Plain Text ASCII vs. Styled Text in AOL

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 10:55:32 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/01 2:29:25 PM, cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu writes:

>>Carl,
>>
>>In a message dated 7/6/01 3:03:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
>>cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu writes:
>>
>>>As most list-members are aware, we have been urging list-members to avoid
>>>using styled text or MIME text styles in messages to the list, for the
>>>primary reason that every such message appears in duplicate in the daily
>>>Digest format in which many members receive list messages; such duplicates
>>>are not simply twice as long but sometimes as much as 3x as long because
>>>the second part is set in HTML coding. Several new list-members have
>>>recently told me that they can't write messages in plain-text in AOL
>and
>>>that the AOL advisers have not been at all helpful. I'm re-sending this
>>>message from Jay Adkins in February of this year, hoping it may be helpful
>>>to some who are having that difficulty.
>>>

>>My text is apparently as plain as it gets, and I believe that you are
>still
>>getting a duplicate. Of course the length is significantly increased
>if I
>>change my font or add any feature. The only way that I was told that
>I can
>>control this is by logging on to the web page--if I write from the e-mail
>on
>>the AOL web page, it will print in plain text. However, I think that
>I'd
>>have to use another server to log on to the web page, which I don't have
>at
>>home.
>>

>On the contrary, your messages are coming to me as styled text, which is
>the reason why they appear in duplicate in the digest. My response, which
>will reproduce your message, will be in plain-text because I'm given that
>option in Eudora every time I respond to a mime-format message.
>--
Good instructions were given last week about AOL version 6.0. For version
4.0 (which is what some have to use who are running earlier versions of OS),
click on reply with some text selected. Then go to Window in the menu and
drag down to AOL Shortcuts. Slide the cursor sideways and drag down to font
style Plain. (Or just click on Command + T) This will keep your composition
in Plain text ascii unless you cut and paste some other style. When you do
that select the whole composition and repeat the process. This prevents the
gobble-dee-gook that we get otherwise.

I hate the arrogance of AOL and all the adds. I have found a way to use
Eudora while on AOL, but you have to have another account such as I have
through Lousiana College. I will shortly switch all my e-mail lists to that
address. I use AOL now because I am away from home more than at home. It
travels better.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College
winbery@lacollege.edu