[b-greek] Re: Luke 5:34: En hW

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 05:35:48 EDT

At 10:28 PM -0700 7/7/01, Kenneth Litwak wrote:
> The last part of Luke 5:34 reads
>EN hW hO NUMFIOS MET' AUTWN ESTIN POIHSAI NHSTEUSAI
>
>My question is this. EN hW with an infinitive
>indicates concurrent action, "while x was happening,"
>but I've not seen that done with the indicative, here,
>ESTIN. Is this common? Or am I misunderstanding the
>syntax? Thanks.

Ken, you're not seeing the WHOLE construction, if you're trying to make
sense only of what you've cited. The text (UBS4) reads MH DUNASQE TOUS
hUIOUS TOU NUMFWNOS EN hWi hO NUMFIOS MET' AUTWN ESTIN POIHSAI NHSTEUSAI?

The infinitive POIHSAI depends upon the initial DUNASQE as a complementary
infinitive; the whole adverbial clause is EN hWi hO NUMFIOS MET' AUTWN
ESTIN; finally TOUS hUIOUS TOU NUMFWNOS NHSTEUSAI depends upon POIHSAI.

"Surely you can't make ...?" MH DUNASQE POIHSAI?
"... the grooms fast ..." TOUS hUIOUS TOU NUMFWNOS ... NHSTEUSAI
"while the bridegrrom is with them" EN hWi hO NUMFIOS MET' AUTWN ESTIN