[b-greek] Re: NT Greek etymology

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 12:23:38 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 05:53 09/07/01, Julian Duckworth wrote:

>I would like to know if list members could recommend good thorough books
>giving in-depth studies of NT Gk. words, derivations, constructions (e.g.
>PARABOLH = PARA+BALLW sort of thing). I have Van Voorst 'Building your New
>Testament Greek Vocabulary' and I have 'The New International Dictionary
>of New Testament Theology' (3 vols.), but I would imagine there are
>several other major books in this whole area. I am specifically interested
>in the subtle shades of meanings that many NT Gk. words contain. Thanks if
>you can.

Julian:
Have you come across:
Turner, Nigel. Christian Words . Edinburgh: T. & T. Clark, 1980.

His _overall_ approach has produced a sharp division among scholars in the
years since publication --- but on the technical level at which you will be
using the book, I think you will find it very, very useful.

Regards,
Maurice

>Julian Duckworth
>Roseville, Sydney,