[b-greek] A digression from `Use of the article.. '

From: Mike Sangrey (msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 20:14:17 EDT

Glenn Blank <glennblank@earthlink.net> said:
> or only one member with in the universe of discourse set up by the
> speaker, as in the case where a particular town has only one grocery
> store

> "The grocery store is having a special." (Don't laugh, I grew up in
> such a town . . . such towns do exist :)

There's a town in the Midwest US which had a single store in it. The name?
Well, `The Store' of course.

Then the town grew some. Another store was built. Its name?
Well, `The Other Store' of course.

True story. You either went to The Store or you went to The Other Store.

We now return to something Greek.

<chuckle>

Although I'll add that people from all cultures will use words in ways
that make sense to them at the time. Sometimes, even with a sense of
humor. The Greek in the GNT is no different. So, if you're a little
Greek like me (I use to weigh 130--do I win?), then consider this a
reminder that the Greek in all those texts was written by people. So,
the texts do things, sometimes, which aren't quite what the rules say.
--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey@BlueFeltHat.org