[b-greek] Re: Mk 1:2

From: Chet Creider (creider@csd.uwo.ca)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 14:10:06 EDT

The commentary I have at hand (Cranfield 1963) says what yours says,
"The M.T. connects 'in the wilderness' with 'prepare ye'; but the LXX
(though the order of the words is actually the same as in the M.T.) is
naturally understood to be coupling EN THi ERHMWi with BOWNTOS..." (p.40).
However, I would agree that strictly speaking the connection is
ambiguous and would point to two pieces of evidence in favour of
construing EN THi ERHMWi with ETOIMASATE in the LXX (Is 40.3):
(1) in verse 4, the references to the actions to be performed are to
actions done to wilderness features (TRACHEIA, SKOLIA, OROS, etc.)
(2) the punctuation is unambiguous in verse 6, with the direct speech
beginning immediately after the participle (FWNH LEGONTOS, BOHSON ...).
Parallelism would suggest for verse 3: FWNJ BOWNTOS, EV THi ...

Neither of these facts is enough to convince me that Cranfield is
wrong, but the question is an interesting one.

[Chet Creider: New list-members please note that list-protocol
requires a full-name signature to be appended to messages sent to
the list. -cwc]