[b-greek] Antecedent of EN hWi 1 Peter 1:6

From: James S. Murray (jsmurray@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 17:09:01 EDT

Greetings,

I have a couple of questions regarding the the antecedent of the
relative pronoun in 1 Peter 1:6.

The text (sorry it's a little long, but the prior sentence runs from
vss. 3-5);

(3) EULOGHTOS hO QEOS KAI PATHR TOU KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU CRISTOU, hO KATA
TO POLU AUTOU ELEOS ANAGENNHSAS hHMAS EIS ELPIDA ZWSAN DI ANASTASEWS
IHSOU CRISTOU EK VEKRWN, (4) EIS KLHPONOMIAN AFQARTON KAI AMIANTON KAI
AMARANTON, TETHRHMENHN EN OURANOIS EIS hUMAS (5) TOUS EN DUNAMEI QEOU
FROUROUMENOUS DIA PISTEWS EIS SWTHPRIAN hETOIMHN APOKALUFQHNAI EN KAIRWi
ESCATWi. (6) EN hWi AGALLIASQE, OLIGON APTI EI DEON [ESTIN] LUPHQENTES
EN POIKILOIS PEIPASMOIS, ....

Most translations I've looked at take the relative pronoun as an
embedded demonstrative, either as "in this you rejoice" or "rejoice in
this". Could the antecedent be all that precedes (e.g. rejoicing in the
new birth, in having a living hope, an inheritance kept in heaven, being
guarded by God's power), or strictly KAIRWi ESCATWi.

Also, could the the relative pronoun be masculine, referring back to hO
QEOS in vs 3? Verse 3 starts with an independent clause, 'EULOGHTOS hO
QEOS ...' followed by a whole string of dependent clauses. Could the
EN hWi of vs 6 be a continuation of the thought in vs. 3, " in him you
rejoice". I suspect the answer is no, but I'm curious to know why.

Thanks

Jim Murray
Racine, WI