[b-greek] Re: Luke 6:12b

From: Timothy Lang (soli_christo@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 15:15:44 EDT

Ken, I am only a first year Greek student in my undergraduate work;
however, I found your question interesting and some possible solutions
unsatisfying. Wallace (1996) on page 117 writes in italics that "an
objective genitive can only occur with verbal nouns which imply a
transitive verb." He then, in note 126, explains that Luke 6:12 seems to
be an exception to the rule. He concludes that the meaning is indeed
"prayer to God" and the genative is objective eventhough it follows an
intransitive verbal noun. He suggests that Acts 4:9 and Matt. 1:12 might
also be compared. I would like to know if Wallace's conclusion is
satisfactory and this passage really is an exception or if it is possible
that the the passage could be rendered differently than Wallace and all
translations I have consulted have it.

Timothy Lang
Wheaton, Illinois