[b-greek] Re: elegchos

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 08:19:35 EDT

At 6:56 PM -0400 7/21/01, karen beaulieu wrote:
>Are the words elegchos, eleos, and the English word "elegy," and
>eleutheroo
>related in root form at all?
>
>[Karen Beaulieu. New list-members please take note that BG list
>protocol requires a full-name signature to all messages sent to
>the list for general distribution. cwc]

No; none of these words is etymologically related to any of the others
named; for ELEGCOS the -GC- is an essential part of the root; the root for
ELEOS is actually ELEfH- (where "f" represents an original digamma or "w"
sound) and this root also appears in the verb ELEEW, "have mercy" and the
noun ELEHMOSUNH "mercy, alms"); the original sense of ELEGOS, whence
English "elegy" is derived was, the last time I checked, still unresolved
as an etymological problem; finally ELEUQEROW derives immediately from
ELEUQEROS, the adjective for "free"--perhaps originally "coming/going at
will" since that adjective derives from the verb ELEUQ/ELOUQ/ELUQ/ELQ,
"come" or "go."