[b-greek] Re: Cases and Prepositions

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 15:35:48 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/01 5:26:54 PM, cc.constantine@worldnet.att.net writes:

>Others who have been influenced by post-Saussurian language models tend
>view with suspicion attempts to preserve residual semantic "presence" in
>the
>case form.
>
>This is a conflict of language models and this sort of conflict does not
>go
>away since language models tend to be rather stable over time for any given
>student of the Greek language.

Clay I would like to suppose that you are dealing with a second semester
Greek class about learning to translate and 2 Corinthians 7:15 has been
assigned to study in this respect. Focus on THN PANTWN hUMWN hUPAKOHN.
Obviously PANTWN hUMWN is adnomial, it follows the article and precedes the
noun which is head of this noun phrase. What would you tell tham that in this
context PANTWN hUMWN adds to hUPAKOHN? How would you describe what it does?

Thanks,

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College