[b-greek] Re: Luke 6:12b

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 06:27:08 EDT

You can be whatever you want to be, Ken, but I don't think you've
understood the point that Iver and I have both been making in fact: that
the categories--the parent category of "objective genitive" as well as the
sub-category which he facetiously coined ("indirect objective
genitive"--which term he recommended ONLY for those people who "cannot
sleep before they get a name for this") are really pretty phony to begin
with. Such categories have been invented NOT to explain the Greek
construction but to help translators into modern languages adapt their
understanding of the Greek to the target language's supposed grammatical
categories. In the Greek text in question QEOU is simply an adnominal
genitive: a genitive-case-form dependent upon the noun PROSEUCH. The proper
Englishing of that phrase is "prayer to God."