[b-greek] Re: 1 Cor. 1:4

From: Andrej Ricnik (lemmetink@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 20:35:46 EDT

<x-flowed>
Hi Garland, guys ...

>Virtually all my sources indicate that "in Christ" in 1 Cor. 1:4 is
>locative of sphere. However, the KJV translates it as "by" rather than
>"in." The phrase follows immediately after a passive participle, and it
>is not unknown for the preposition EN to indicate agency after passive
>voices.
From a grammatical point of view (the passionate and more literate
b-greeks forgive me my scholastic approach) the "EN with dat" can be both
locativ or instrumental.

Brief question here, as in Germany greek seems to be taught in
a different fashion. Is "locative" another name for
"dativus locationis"? Or do you guys in fact know more than the five
cases (if one wants to consider vocativ a case) that I know?

>Garland Shinn

CAIRETE,
Tink *Andrej Ricnik/NZ*