[b-greek] Re: Grammatical categories and Luke 6:12b

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 18:39:45 EDT

I think Mike asked a good question:

> For example, let me ask this question of those far more expert in the
> Greek language than me. If the head noun to a genitive is a verbal
> noun (in the semantic sense), then MUST the genitive be either
> objective or subjective? That is, will the verbal noun "expect" the
> collocated genitive to be either the actor or the thing acted upon.
> If not, what other factor(s) come into play? And how are those
> factors semantically interacting?

My hypothesis would be:

 The things that can go with a verb are the subject, the object,
 adverbial modifiers denoting the time, the place, the reason, the manner
 of the event or the process denoted by the verb. These things, i.e.
 the subject, the object, the time, the place, the reason, and the manner
 can be denoted by the genitive of a verbal noun.

 Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea