[b-greek] Re: Source of hHNWMENHi

From: Richard Allan Stauch (RStauch@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 22:59:12 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric B. Sowell [mailto:bradyman@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 10:42 PM
>>Can anyone help me see where I might find the source of hHNWMENHi? I am
>>trying to look up words to determine their meaning, and to find the forms
>>(case, mood, tense, voice, et cetera). BAGD does not list this one, but
>>has hENWSIS. Tufts "Middle Liddell" has an entry that looks more promis-
>>ing. It looks like our subject might be a form of hENOW "make one, unite"
>>(preformative lengthens E to H, no coupling letter [ending attached to
>>stem of fifth principle part, though I am not sure what that is], ending
>>in -MEN-, to which is added -Hi [and where does this little fella come
>>from?). Maybe this is a participle, perfect middle/passive dative feminine
>>singular? Searching BibleWorks' databases, for all words ending in
"*MENH",
>>every one with an Iota subscript is dative feminine singular (whether noun
>>or participle). Without the Iota subscript they are mostly present
>>nominative, occasionally deponent or even vocative.
>>Anyway, am I on the right track?
>Richard,
>I am curious about what text you are using. Mine lists an accusative form
>for this reading, though a dative variant is in the apparatus. What text
>are you using?

Hi Eric, B-Greekers,

The source of the Greek word in question is GPGoold, Ed., The Apostolic
Fathers, Vol. 1 (Loeb Classical Library; Cambridge: Harvard U. Press, 1985),
page 172, the Greeting paragraph of the epistle of Ignatius to the Ephesians
(see: my earlier thread, with the text and my translation). This book was
originally printed in 1912, and I do not think it was ever updated before
its reprintings (this is why I have set this little project for myself,
because Kirsopp Lake's English is a little outdated). In his introduction,
Goold says he has researched a number of early publications of Ignatius,
including Lightfoot. He specifies that Ussher's Greek version is a
retranslation from an earlier Latin translation by Grosseteste in 1250 from
a Greek manuscript that is since lost. However, Goold does have the Vossian
manuscript, which was published in 1646 from the Florence codex (below), but
it did not include Ignatius to the Romans. This, Goold says, was rectified
when Ruinart published a 10th century manuscript, 1689 in Paris. Goold lists
the following manuscripts he has cited in footnotes in the texts of
Ignatius:
"G1 = Codex Mediceus Laurentius lxii. 7 (the Vossian MS).
g = the text of the interpolated epistles in the long recension.
     [Goold indicates that this is widely available.]
L = the Latin version of Grosseteste. (Lc = codex Caiensis,
     Lm = codex Montacutianus, known only from the collation of Ussher.)
A = the Armenian version.
S = the Syriac version (S1234 = the various fragments of the unabridged
     texts, Sigma = Cureton's abridgment).
C = the Sahidic version.
B = the Berlin papyrus."

At any rate, looking again in Loeb at the word in question, it is definitely
spelled hHNWMENHi. The Iota subscript is unmistakable, certainly not a
misprint, or ink spill.

>It is indeed a form of hENOW and BDAG mentions it on pg 339 and BAGD on pg
>268. It is a perfect passive participle, accusative feminine singular (or
>dative). The beginning of words that start with a vowel do sometimes
>lengthen in the perfect, which would explain the lengthening here.
>The -MEN- is the sign of a middle/passive participle and the -HN at the end
>is the feminine accusative singular ending (or Hi if it is dative).

Thanks for the confirmation. That was very helpful (I guess the perfect
middle/passive conjugation is an advanced topic, since Hewett does not seem
to cover it). You know, after I looked in BAGD and was unconvinced of
hENWSIS, I went to Tufts and found hENOW. After that, I failed to go back to
BAGD to see that. Thanks for the page number. I agree they have hHNWMENH,
without the Iota subscript. But, what am I to do? If this one word indicates
the Loeb text is defective, how am I to correct it? Is there a text you
would suggest would be better for my little project?

Thanks so much,
Richard Allan Stauch
Long Beach, CA