[b-greek] Re: time flies like an arrow and the notion of sentence

From: Jonathan Robie (Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 10:15:12 EDT

<x-flowed>
At 09:53 AM 7/27/2001 -0400, Chet Creider wrote:
>Punctuate and capitalize:

Actually, how about not punctuating and capitalizing, since your point is
to prove that sentences are needed to disambiguate the meaning, and a
counterargument would be to show that the meaning can be disambiguated
without doing so:

Dear John / I want a man who knows what
love is all about / you are generous, kind,
thoughtful / people who are not like you
admit to being useless and inferior / you
have ruined me for other men / I yearn for
you / I have no feelings whatsoever when
we're apart / I can be forever happy / will you
let me be yours / Gloria

Now the question becomes: how much additional meaning is added by
punctuating and capitalizing? A second question: how many different ways
could we place the sentence boundaries, given a set of clause boundaries,
and how different would the resulting meaning be in the eyes of native
speakers? A third question: what model are you using for English syntax,
and how are sentences described in that model?

Jonathan