Re: [b-greek] Re: time flies like an arrow and the notion of sentence

From: Jonathan Robie (Jonathan.Robie@SoftwareAG-USA.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 17:38:15 EDT

At 03:01 PM 7/27/2001 -0400, Chet Creider wrote:<br>
(1) I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart / I can be forever happy<br>
(2) I have no feelings whatsoever / when we're apart I can be forever happy<br><br>
Calling the larger unit which contains the two smaller units a clause<br>
rather than a sentence is fine if you allow clauses to be self-embedding.<br>
If not (my unspoken assumption -- I should have mentioned this), then<br>
another unit is needed. </blockquote><br>
I think we agree, then.<br><br>
the former analysis (I don't myself), but the traditional analysis,<br>
considering clause as a minimal unit is also acceptable, I think, for<br>
English, and for that subset of NT Greek which is like English (i.e.<br>
participial phrases, relative clauses, INA complements, etc.).&nbsp; </blockquote><br>
Again, I think we agree. For me, no model is the One True Account, so it doesn't bother me that there are models that don't think in terms of sentences.<br><br>
Main Entry: <b>para.tax.is<br>
Pronunciation: </b>&quot;par-&amp;-'tak-s&amp;s<br>
: the placing of clauses or phrases one after another without coordinating or subordinating connectives<br><br>
So do you mean the relationship between adjacent clauses with no coordinating or subordinating connective?<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Jonathan Robie<br>
jwrobie@mindspring.com<br><br>
&quot;I'm no authority on biblical languages, but I run some authoritative mailing lists...&quot;<br>
B-Greek (http://metalab.unc.edu/bgreek)<br>
B-Hebrew (http://metalab.unc.edu/bhebrew)<br>
Little Greek (http://metalab.unc.edu/koine)<br>
Little Greek 101 (http://metalab.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons)</html>