[b-greek] One Hendiadys too many

From: Clwinbery@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 17:06:30 EDT

I think the this whole discussion started with Matt. 21:5, the quotation from
Zechariah. I think we all agreed that in Zech. 9:9 that the prophet was
speaking of one animal. However, such is foreign to the Evangalist's mind. In
Vers 2 when he records Jesus sending the two to fetch the animal, it is
clearly two, an ass that has been tied and a colt that was with her. Also the
disciples are to say the Lord has need of them (AUTWN). In verse 7 they
brought the ONON and the KWLON. They spread their garments on AUTWN and he
sat on AUTWN. Two source people have always explained this as Matt. finding
fulfillment even though his source or he misread Zechariah. That is beside
the point. The fact is that in the writer's mind these are two animals and
thus no hendiadys. It is not unusual for Matt. to have two where Mark has
one, the man with a withered hand, blind Bartimaeus at Jericho, the demoniac
by the sea. He likes pairs or perhaps two witnesses instead of one or perhaps
something straight out of Scripture. The Greek here is clear and does not
necessitate a discussion or how to translate a hendiadys.

Carlton Winbery
Louisiana College