[b-greek] Re: Luke 1:15 ETI EK KOILIAS MHTROS AUTOU

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 04 2001 - 19:29:50 EDT

At 1:51 PM -0700 8/4/01, Richard Allan Stauch wrote:
> [...]

Yes, Richard, there is that usage of EK--but it is an idiomatic way of
expressing the old "partitive notion" of one of the cases long since that
historically came to use the genitive ending, and it would only be used, as
you have noted, with a VERB OF FILLING. PLHSQHSETAI could take it, but the
governing phrase here is ETI EK THS KOILIAS MHTROS AUTOU. The "partitive"
genitive to be construed with PLHSQHSETAI in this verse is rather hAGIOU
PNEUMATOS (here without the EK, as is actually more normal in Greek usage;
I've often thought that the EK + "partitive" genitive might be a Latinism
in Koine Greek.