[b-greek] p46

From: Michael Buksar (m.s.buksar@att.net)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 01:50:49 EDT

Greetings!
I recently found a leave of p46 for viewing from the Chester Beatty
collection at the Univ. of Mich. library's website. It is part of the first
chapter of the Letter to the Hebrews. What I need help with is a
translation for the superscription that appears above pros ebraious. I am
assuming it is a superscription for Hebrews because it appears below a line
count for the scribes previous work. Nowhere, including Comfort and
Barret's work on ancient manuscripts, can I find a reference to this curious
superscript. It reads as follows: kai lou artos o adelphos---pros
ebraious. My initial translation is: And bread is purifying. The
brotherhood(believers) to the Hebrews. I felt the continual/habitual force
of the imperfect was important. However, can o adelphos be in apposition to
artos? And bread, namely the brother's, is purifying----to the Hebrews.
Any input will certainly be appreciated.

Mike Buksar