[b-greek] Re: Three quick questions

From: Dave Washburn (dwashbur@nyx.net)
Date: Sun Aug 05 2001 - 14:19:33 EDT

> > 2. It seems to me that OT Hebrew is much easier to learn than NT Greek once
> > you can recognize the alphabet. Is this true?
>
> No it is not true. Hebrew syntax seems simple at first because it is it uses
> fewer formal mechanisms than Greek. But the fact that Hebrew syntax uses
> fewer formal mechanisms to mark the syntactic structure means that it is
> much more subtle and for that reason hard to get a handle on. Hebrew is not
> easy at all. Take you 30 years to master it.

This simply is not true. Basic Hebrew syntax can easily be
mastered in 2 years, similar to Greek. I have no idea what Clay
means by "fewer formal mechanisms"; Hebrew has fewer tenses,
but more stems. It's a completely different structure from the Indo-
European languages, but that certainly doesn't mean it will take 30
years to master it. If it took Clay that long, maybe he needs to
rethink his methodology ;-)

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."