[b-greek] Re: Use of word "mallon"

From: Jay Anthony Adkins (Jadkins26438@cs.com)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2001 - 05:11:56 EDT

Mike Sangrey wrote:

> (Snip) The `H' (or) is the syntactic clue which sets up the contrast.

It is interesting that Louw & Nida use two examples of MALLON as "a marker
of contrast indicating an alternative" and neither example uses `H' as the
syntactic clue which sets up the contrast.

89.126: mallon {b} : a marker of contrast indicating an alternative - `on
the contrary, instead, but rather.' KAI hUMEIS PEFUSIWMENOI ESTE, KAI
OUXI MALLON EPENQHSATQ `you have become proud, but on the contrary,
should you not be exceedingly sad?' 1Cor 5:2 ; NUN DE GNONTES QEON, MALLON
DE GNWSQENTES hUPO QEOU `but now (that you) know God, but rather, are
known by God' Gala 4:9.

I also noticed that the KJV, YLT and BBE use 'more than' in their
translations of this verse. While the KJV and the YLT tend to be very
literal, the BBE is much more free in its approach.

2Tim 3:4 (KJV) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than
lovers of God;
2Tim 3:4 (YLT) traitors, heady, lofty, lovers of pleasure more than lovers
of God,
2Tim 3:4 (BBE) False to their friends, acting without thought, lifted up
in mind, loving pleasure more than God;

With all that said, I have no answer for the question, just more
questions.

Sola Gratia,
         Jay Adkins
Always Under Grace!